- 3 Tell-Tale Signs of an Internet Dating Scam and What To Do - May 9, 2021
- Do You Love a Man With Asperger’s? Here’s How to Date Him [BOOK] - December 18, 2018
- Getting Past Your Breakup Book Review - December 17, 2018
It’s a new year, so you want to check out some couples costume ideas. No same old, boring here!
While dressing up is one of the best parts of Halloween, sometimes coming up with the perfect couples’ costume idea can be a chore. What if you’re a LGBTQ+ couple, pregnant, or a couple with a dog? (Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered). Maybe you want to play with gender, you’re non-binary, or perhaps your couple is a throuple? I’ve got tandem and group costume ideas for you, too.
To decide on the best costume for you and your sweetie, think about your shared interests and passions: are you superheroes or medieval characters from a romantic play? Matched opposites, wannabe celebrities, fantasy role players or something different?
I compiled all of these suggestions to cover all of these ideas, and more, suitable for all occasions. If you think I’ve missed some crucial couples costumes ideas, or want to share something you and your partner concocted, I’d love to hear from you in the comments.
Table of Contents
- 1 DIY Couples Costumes
- 2 Famous Couples Costume Ideas
- 3 80s Couples Costumes
- 4 90s Couples Costumes
- 5 Fairytale Couples Costumes
- 6 Movie Couples Costumes
- 7 ‘Old’ Couples Costume Ideas
- 8 Silly Couples Costume Ideas
- 9 Scary Couples Costumes
- 10 Superhero Couples Costumes
- 11 TV Couples Costumes
- 12 Unique Couples Costumes
- 13 Ideas From Your Favorite Celebrities
- 14 Even More Couples Costumes Ideas
DIY Couples Costumes
Not all the items on this list will offer up specific how-to instructions (but if they do, I’ll mention it). Instead, I’ve collected a list of ideas that would be relatively easy to re-create with some time and ingenuity. None of the links in this section will send you to a pre-made costume. Nope! This is all about DIY in this section, folks. Scroll on down if you’d prefer a couples Halloween costume you can buy and not piece together yourself.
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s [link goes to a copy of the movie] – Holly Golightly (wig) and Paul Varjak – this one is simple if you know the movie well. Holly needs a black dress, crinoline, white gloves and a tiara, while Paul only needs a suit with a thin tie.
- Netflix and Chill [link goes to a Pinterest image for inspiration] – literally as simple as two adult onesies with the names ‘Netflix’ and ‘Chill’ written on the front.
- Bob Ross and his painting – This pre-made Bob Ross painting costume should give you an idea as to what I’m thinking of. Inventive, and easy to recreate on your own Bob Ross costume kit with an impressive wig, a paintbrush, a large sheet and someone with awesome painting skills. Alternatively, there’s a paintbrush costume (seriously, who thinks of these things), Bob Ross leggings, and a Bob Ross blazer.
- Lock & Key [link goes to a pre-made set] – Okay, this is silly, but so easy to do. Hit up the dollar store and find some crazy string or a chain to put these around your necks, and you’ve got a subtle costume that folks will have to put together. Yea, Halloween makes me corny. Alternatively, you could try what’s pictured in the pre-made costume link with some gold fabric, a decent sewing machine, and a bit of polyester fill.
- Lady and the Tramp [link goes to a set of ears and collar; here’s the other set] – okay, so there’s another way to make this costume. Let’s assume this version (see a great Pinterest shot) is tame. Two puppy costumes (here’s a fluffy dog) with one holding a plate full of spaghetti (string) and the two connected by your mouths? Genius.
- Pooh and Honey Pot – amazing if you need a pregnant couple’s costume. She dresses as Pooh Bear (see Pinterest for an idea, this is the cutoff red top, and this is the long, yellowish orange form-fitting dress), he dresses as the Honey Pot. Simple and easy. Or… one of you wears the Pooh Bear costume and another paints their belly as the honey pot?
- Cards Against Humanity [link goes to a copy of the game] – the simplest of all the costumes, especially if you own a deck (or, like me, made one from scratch). Two pieces of cardboard, one painted white, one painted black. Holes around the tops for a string to wear around your neck, and then, two cards, one for each of you: “I drink to forget____” and “Me”. Or, “What do you call a one-night stand that stuck around,” and “[write down just your first name]”. You get the gist. Make it sassy!
- Voodoo Rag Doll Couple – admittedly, this one is a bit work. You’ll need some sewing skills, or at the very least an understanding of what ‘burlap’ us. Still, it’s a stunning result, and the author / creator has explained in great detail how they made these two matching couples costumes.
- 99 Problems – A simple DIY couple’s costume, where you either create your own personalized t-shirts, or you have them printed. One of you wears a jersey that reads the number 99, with the name “Problems,” while the other wears jersey number 1, with the name “Ain’t”.
Famous Couples Costume Ideas
Some, we all know and love (sort of). Others, you might be all… huh? But if someone’s made a Hallowe’en costume for couples imitating celebrities, you’d think they were famous enough, right?
- Beyonce and Jay Z
- Buddy Holly and Marilyn Monroe (costume, wig)
- David Beckham and Victoria Beckham
- David Bowie and Iman
- Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi
- Gisele Bündchen and Tom Brady [link goes to Pinterest; see photo above] – if you want these actual costumes, you’ll want to try some Victoria’s Secret lingerie for her paired with some angel wings, and one of Tom Brady’s jerseys. Better yet, flip it around and have one of you wearing the jersey, and the gent wearing a men’s sexy angel costume.
- Hugh Hefner (smoking jacket, pipe) and Playboy Bunny (Playboy Goddess costume, plus-sized Playboy Bunny costume). There’s even a women’s Playboy smoking jacket for some fun role reversals… or wait! What about a women’s Playboy smoking jacket and Magic Mike dancers? I realize we’re mashing up worlds here, but it could be a world of fun.
- John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash
- Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy costume, plus-sized costume, I Love Lucy candy factory costume, wig) and Ricky Ricardo (hat).
- Michelle and Barack Obama
- Mildred and Richard Loving
- Sonny (wig) and Cher
80s Couples Costumes
Okay, I love the 80s. Truly. I kind of miss them…. and thus why this section is likely the most fleshed out of the bunch. You’ve been warned!
- 80s Music Stars: any combination of 80s pop icon… Cyndi Lauper, and/or an MC Hammer-style outfit (MC Hammer vest, MC Hammer pants, wig), or perhaps Michael Jackson (MJ Thriller costume, MJ Thriller costume for women) and 80s Madonna (80s pop diva costume, lace headband)? How about a 80s music groupie? Get your dog in on it, too.
- 80s Tracksuit Babe and a similarly dressed dude. Or – bear with me here – have you ever watched that scandalous 80s movie where Jamie Lee Curtis seduces John Travolta in the middle of an aerobics class? It’s saucy, sexy in a ‘I can’t look away, but it’s making me uncomfortable’ kinda way, and embraces the dental floss -like aerobics outfits (woman’s version) of the 80s. I dare you! [link to clip from the movie, ‘Perfect’, on YouTube]
- Alf and a Cat – even better if the cat costume somehow incorporates it being a ‘cat sandwich’.
- Back to the Future: Any combination of a Doc Brown, Marty McFly (wig), and/or Jennifer Parker (wig). Don’t forget the hoverboard!
- Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice! I’ll be honest, if a throuple showed up, each in their own Beetlejuice costume, I’d laugh all night. Try to piece something together with these: women’s Beetlejuice suit pants and corset, neck gaiter, crossbody bag, hi-top sneakers, Beetlejuice costume set, Beetlejuice Barbara mask (this one’s creepy, if you’re wanting to scare folks with your costume!), 3/4 face mask with hair, and/or the full face, vinyl Beetlejuice mask.
- The Breakfast Club: Claire and John Bender
- Any of the Care Bears, great for a group costume, or any gender inclusive or gender-neutral options. Sweet/orange, Share/purple, Funshine/yellow, Friend/peach, Wish/green, Bedtime/light blue, Cheer/pink, Tenderheart/red, Grumpy/blue. Your furry friends can get in on this, too! Tenderheart/red for dogs, Grumpy/blue for dogs, Cheer/pink for dogs.
- Donkey Kong and Mario
- ET: An awesome DIY option if you want to try it. Grab an ET plush doll and put it in a front carrier. You’re the boy from ET (if you have a bike, even better). Then your female partner can dress as Drew Barrymore. Awesome! (See an example with the image above).
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – Ferris and Sloane
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun – if you’re two wannabe 80s valley girls, this might be your jam.
- Hall and Oates
- The Karate Kid – The 80s version, not the Netflix show Cobra Kai! Although unless you’re heading to a 80s only costume party, I guess it doesn’t really matter. Daniel San, Daniel San bathrobe, Cobra Kai costume, Cobra Kai jacket, Cobra Kai bathrobe, Karate Kid Skeleton costume,
- Nerds (the candy!) – although you could be nerds from the Revenge of the Nerds, too. Add a generic 80s jock, and you’ve got this covered!
- Masters of the Universe: any combination of He-Man, Skeletor and/or She-Ra
- Pac Man and either Blinky, Pinky or Clyde
- The Princess Bride
- Q*Bert and either a square or the tower of squares
- Any of the Smurfs: Papa Smurf, generic Smurf, Smurfette.
- Pretty in Pink: Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr did a fun version of Andie and Duckie
- Pretty Woman: Edward and Vivian
- Transformers: any combination of Bumblebee (Female Bumblebee), Megatron and/or Optimus Prime (Optimus Prime Female)
- Twins – Schwartzenegger and DeVito’s now classic movie, as re-imaged by Nicole Ritchie and a unnamed pal
- Weird Science: either Gay and Wyatt (put the bra on your head, you can do it..) or one of the gents with Kelly Brock
- Yips in magenta and blue.
90s Couples Costumes
I’m not as huge of a fan of the 90s, but, there are some really solid costume offerings from this era. A recent “I Love the 90s” concert I attended (seriously) gave me some great ideas…
- Ace Ventura and some random weird animal
- Axl and Slash from Guns and Roses – Cindy Crawford and Rande Gerber
- The Big Lebowski boys
- Carmen Sandiego and Where’s Waldo (Where’s Waldo Woman) – okay, I made this one up, and I still think it’s genius
- Clueless: Cher and Dee
- David Hasslehoff and a Baywatch Girl
- Derek Zoolander and a random model
- Dumb and Dumber in the blue and orange suits
- Fresh Prince of Bel Air: Fresh Prince and Carlton
- Kurt Cobain and Courteney Love
- Men in Black
- Pulp Fiction
- Salt ‘n Pepa
- Any of the Scooby Doo crew: Daphne, Velma, Scooby Doo, Fred, Shaggy
- Wayne’s World – Maybe you’ve got the hair, the glasses, or even the drumsticks. So then all you’ll need is a flannel shirt, an ACDC shirt, and a Wayne’s World hat. Voila!
- Zack Morris and Kelly Kapowski
Fairytale Couples Costumes
C’mon. You know you want to. Really, really want to. Be the Prince Charming your partner always wanted! Or, perhaps Snow White? Bro White? Yea, it’s an option…
- Aladdin and Jasmine
- Alice in Wonderland and any of the supporting characters: Cheshire Tease, Rabbit (female), Mad Hatter (female),
- Beauty (Belle) and The Beast
- Cinderella and the Frog Prince or maybe Cinderfella?
- Cinderella and Prince Charming
- Hansel and Gretel
- Jack and Jill with a water pail – check out this awesome idea to modernize and re-create this fairytale into a totally rad Halloween costume for the two of you
- Little Red Riding Hood & the Wolf
- Gnome and Sexy Gnome
- Once Upon a Time: Snow, Evil Queen, Hook, or Emma Swann
- Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy
- Rapunzel and Prince Charming
- Sleeping Beauty and Prince Charming
- Snow White and any of the Dwarves, or Bro White – I can’t make this up
- Tweedle Dee (funny) and Tweedle Dum (sexy)
- Sexy Unicorn and a Magical Unicorn, or a Unicorn and a Rainbow
- Shrek: Two Gingy‘s, Shrek and Fiona, Shrek and Donkey
- Wicked of Oz: any combination of the Wicked Lion, Tin Woman, Flying Monkee, Witch, Scarecrow, and/or Mistress Dorothy
- Wicked Neverland: Captain Hook & Captain’s Mate, Peter & Darling Wendy
- Wicked Wonderland: any combination of Alice, White Rabbit, and/or Mad Hatter
Movie Couples Costumes
A quick dinner and a movie date night will help with your idea creation here, but in case you’re still wondering…
- Abbott and Costello
- The Addams Family: Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner as Gomez and Morticia Addams is something special
- 101 Dalmations: Cruella de Vil and a Dalmation (female) or Dalmation (unisex mascot)
- Annie & Daddy Warbucks (Bald Head Kit) – okay, so this one is a bit risque. Great if you’ve got a big age difference between the two of you.
- Austin Powers & Felicity Shagwell
- Avatar: Neytiri & Jake Scully
- Casablanca: Rick and Isla
- Dirty Dancing: Johnny and Baby
- Edward Scissorhands & Miss Scissorhands (otherwise known as Kim)
- Elf: Buddy the Elf and Jovi
- Fight Club – check out Zoë Kravitz and Karl Glusman as Marla Singer and Tyler Durden
- Gone With the Wind: Scarlet O’Hara & Rhett Butler
- Grease: Danny & Sandy
- Harry Potter: Harry Potter & Hermione
- Lethal Weapon: Murtaugh & Riggs
- Lord of the Rings: Sam & Frodo
- Matrix: Trinity & Neo
- The Notebook: Ali and Noah
- Peter Pan & Tinkerbell
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Captain Jack Sparrow and Angelica
- Popeye & Olive Oil
- The Shining: Bruce Willis and his assistant dressed up as The Shining Sisters? It’s worth the click.
- Silver Linings Playbook: Tiffany and Pat
- Spy vs. Spy: Black & White
- Star Wars: Luke Skywalker & Princess Leia
- Star Wars: Darth Vader & Luke Skywalker
- Star Wars: Two Stormtroopers (female, male)
- Suicide Squad: Harley Quinn and The Joker
- Tarzan & Jane
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Raphael or Donatello or Michelangelo and Sexy Leonardo, or Women’s TMNT
- Titanic: Frozen Titanic Survivors [photo only]
- Top Gun: Woman’s Flight and Men’s Flight
- Toy Story 3: Barbie and Ken
- Tron: Quorra & Sam Flynn, or GlowMan & GlowWoman
‘Old’ Couples Costume Ideas
You know, ‘old’. From a former time, but all lumped into one. 😉 I know, I’m so scientific. Just go with it.
- 20s Era Costumes like Flappers and the Great Gatsby – look at how Kim Kardashian and Reggie Bush did it, back in the day
- 20s Era Gangster & Women’s Gangster
- Annie Oakley & her Gunslinger
- Anthony & Cleopatra, Cleopatra & King Tut, or try Cleopatra & a Gladiator like Chrissy Teigen and John Legend
- Barbarian Babe & Bad Barbarian
- Bonnie & Clyde – okay, this is a personal favorite. I mean, my name is Bonny.
- Cowboy and Saloon Girl
- Flapper Girl & Prohibition-Age Gangster
- Gladiatrix & Gladiator
- King Arthur & Guinevere
- Robin Hood and Maid Marion
- Romeo and Juliet
- Thor and Sif
Silly Couples Costume Ideas
Some of my favorites in this entire article sit in this section. I LOL every year at some of the options here.
To note, this is probably the best section for throuple costumes, group costume ideas, or unusual pairings.
Without further ado…
- Adam and Eve (trust me, this belongs in the silly category – just click on the link to see what I’m talking about)
- Breakfast – Maybe bacon and eggs, or pancakes and waffles, or a breakfast sandwich and… jeepers, I don’t know how you like your breakfast. Or try this combo (purchased as a set) bacon and eggs duo costume that Kelly Osbourne and Luke Worrall wore.
- Beer Bottle and a Beer Keg or Beer Fraulein
- Beer Pong People
- Bricklayer and a Brick
- Coke and Diet Coke – interesting how the female’s bit is the Diet Coke. What, dudes don’t drink Diet Coke?
- Crayon Box with any color you can imagine such as Pink, Blue or Green
- Elf on a Shelf Couple
- Hot Dog and a Bun
- Milk and Cookies – like what Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon did
- Nerds – the candy, not the people wearing glasses
- Oreos – the inside and outside
- Pair of Sneakers
- Playing Cards: King and Queen of Hearts
- Pickleball paddle and ball
- Puzzle Pieces
- Soap and Loofah Costume – this one made me laugh out loud
- Tooth Fairy and a Tooth – I kinda like this one, too
- Toothpaste and a Molar
- Wine and Cheese
Scary Couples Costumes
This is the whole point of Halloween, right? To scare each other? Well, here’s a few suggestions for particularly spooky dress up options.
- Black Crows: check out how Heidi Klum and Seal did it
- Chucky and Bride of Chucky, and perhaps a Chucky dog costume, too? Tyga and Kylie Jenner did a great version of this couples costume
- Devil and Angel – not that scary, I admit
- Dracula and a Bitten Woman or a Bat
- Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein
- Ghostly Gent and Lady
- Lord Gruesome and Lady Gruesome
- Married Couples: Monster Groom and Bride, Zombie Groom and Bride, Skeleton Bride and Groom, Corpse Bride and Groom. MIx up the genders. Add another zombie thang for fun. Have a dog? Add them in as Frankenpup.
- Two Mummies! Bloody Mummies?
- Reaper and a Ghost, or perhaps a zombie? A cast member from Dead Like Me?
- Sweeney Todd & Mrs. Lovett
- Zombie Prom King and Queen. Or get really creative, and try Eliza Dushku and Rick Fox’s Zombie Gangsters getup.
Superhero Couples Costumes
A long-standing favorite among readers, the superheros make some, uh, really fun combinations.
- The Avengers: Hulk & Black Widow
- Batman and Catwoman, or Batman and Robin
- Black Panther: Nakia and T’Challa
- Captain 6 Pack & The Refreshinator – yea, yea this isn’t technically a superhero…
- Captain America and Female, or Captain America & Peggy Carter
- Green Arrow & Black Canary
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Gamora & Star Lord, or Groot & Rocket
- The Incredibles: Mom and Dad
- Iron Man & Pepper
- The Riddler & Poison Ivy
- Scorpion & Kitana
- Superman and Wonder Woman, or Superman and Supergirl, or Clark Kent and Lois Lane
- Thor and Loki
- Watchmen: Silk Spectre & Dr. Manhattan (okay, I guess Dr. Manhattan could just go naked…), or Silk Spectre & Night Owl
TV Couples Costumes
Yep, there are lots of options here, too. Some new, some not-so-new, some just plain weird. I love you, readers… you’ve added some really fun suggestions to this specific list that I’d never heard of!
- The Big Bang Theory: Sheldon and Amy, Penny and Leonard, Bernadette and Howard, or (please!) Howard and Raj, or Sheldon and Will Wheaton. – I beg you, if you do this last one, post pictures in the comments.
- Chips: Ponch and John
- Dog the Bounty Hunter: Dog & Beth
- Flintstones: Fred & Wilma, Betty & Barney Rubble
- GI Joe: Baroness and Duke
- I Dream of Jeannie: Jeannie & Major Nelson
- I Love Lucy: Ricky and Lucy
- Magic School Bus: Miss Frizzle and the Bus – there’s also a Magic School Bus handbag, and a Liz Lizard handbag.
- The Muppets: any combination of Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal or maybe the two older gents in the nosebleed seats?
- Orange is the New Black: Alex and Piper (really, any of the characters…)
- Reno 911: Deputy Johnson & Lt. Dangle
- Rugrats: Angelica and Reptar
- Saturday Night Live: Spartan Cheerleaders
- Sesame Street: Bert & Ernie, Oscar and the Cookie Monster, The Count and the Cookie Monster, Big Bird and Snuffalufagus
- Simpsons: Marge and Homer, Duffman & Duff Woman
- Star Trek: Klingon Male & Klingon Female
- Teletubbies – any combination (or a group costume!) of Po, Dipsy, Laa-Laa and Tinky Winky.
- Walking Dead: Rick Grimes & Pajama Zombie
- Khal Drogo and Daenerys Targaryen
Unique Couples Costumes
Need something a bit… different? These options will leave you wondering, “why didn’t I think of that?!” Or possibly, “Uh, I could never do that…”
- CSI: CSI Agent and Lady Heather (Dominatrix) – if you ever watched the original CSI, you remember Lady Heather. Oh my goodness. Any CSI lover will remember these episodes, and the relationship she had with some of the main characters.
- Cougar and a piece of meat – hilariously, this was suggested by a man whose wife is 16 years older than him
- Curious George and The Man in the Yellow Hat
- Ghoulidolocks and Psycho Teddy Bear
- Hunter and the Hunted (so, a hunter with a deer, etc – great Pinterest picture here), or a Great White Hunter and a Tiger.
- Naughty fairy tales – Pimp Nocchio and Little Bo Peep Show
- Paper Bag Princess and the Dragon
- Stanley Cup and Winning Team (see pictured above) – this was a DIY costume, and it isn’t terribly difficult to recreate. Tinfoil over a bowl for the bowl/hat, this sequined silver dress, the NHL jersey of your choosing, and a printed NHL logo attached to cardboard and then to the dress. Voilà!
- Zorro and the Spanish Fly (yes, the pills!)
Ideas From Your Favorite Celebrities
That’s right, celebrities wear Halloween costumes too, and some of the more, uh, unusual ideas come from there. Here’s a sampling, with ideas on how to make it your own. Linked celebrity names go to an image or article showing their couples costume, whereas individual costume links go to a place to purchase the costumes or the supplies to make it.
- Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan: Cats in the Hat – okay, so they’re no longer together. It’s still a cute idea.
- Cindy Crawford and Rande Gerber: Bikers
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend: Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip
- Fergie and Josh Duhamel: Karl Lagerfeld and Choupette – yep, Fergie went as Lagerfield’s cat
- Katy Perry and Riff Raff: Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West: Sea Captain and Mermaid
- Kim Kardashian and Jonathan Cheban: Sonny & Cher
- Justin Timberlake and Jessical Biel: Trolls
- Heidi Klum and Seal: Eve and the Forbidden Fruit
- Seal and Heidi Klum: Robots
- Christina Aguilera and Jordan Bratman: Nurse and Doctor
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon: Firefighters
Even More Couples Costumes Ideas
I realize this is a massive list, and it’ll take some time to go through. I hope you used the handy navigation list up there at the top!
Have more suggestions to add? Post your photos, links to photos and ideas in the comments, or the ideas you used from this list.