It's a new year, so of course you want to check out some couples costume ideas 2017 edition. No same old, boring dress-up here!
While dressing up is one of the best parts of Halloween,
sometimes coming up with the perfect couples' costume idea can be a chore. What if you're a gay couple, or a couple with a dog? (Don't worry, I've got you covered).
To decide on the best costume for you and your sweetie, think about your shared interests and passions: are you superheroes or medieval characters from a romantic play? Matched opposites, wannabe celebrities, fantasy role players or something completely different?
All of these suggestions were compiled to try and cover all of these ideas, and more, suitable for all occasions. If you think I've missed some crucial couples costumes ideas 2017, or want to share something you and your partner concocted, I'd love to hear from you in the comments.
Not all the items on this list will offer up specific how-to instructions (but if they do, I'll mention it). Instead, I've collected a list of ideas that, in my opinion, would be relatively easy to re-create with some time and ingenuity. No time? All the links go to a site where you can buy the costume .
- Breakfast at Tiffany's: Holly Golightly and Paul Varjak - this one is pretty simple if you know the movie well. Holly needs a black dress, crinoline, white gloves and a tiara, while Paul only needs a suit with a thin tie.
- Netflix and Chill - literally as simple as two adult onesies with the names 'Netflix' and 'Chill" written on the front.
- Bob Ross and Bob Ross Painting Costume - one of the more inventive ideas, this would be pretty easy to recreate on your own with an impressive wig, a paintbrush, a large sheet and someone with awesome painting skills.
- Lock & Key - Okay, this is a bit silly, but so easy to do. Hit up the dollar store and some crazy string to put these around your necks, and you've got a subtle costume that folks will have to put together. (Yea, Hallowe'en makes me corny).
- Lady and the Tramp - okay, so there's another way to take this costume. Let's just assume this version (see a great Pinterest shot) is tame. Two puppy costumes with one holding a plate full of spaghetti (string) and the two connected by your mouths? Genius.
- Pooh and Honey Pot - amazing if you need a pregnant couples costume. She dresses as Pooh Bear (see Pinterest for an idea, you could easily find these crazy colors in a thrift store), he dresses as the Honey Pot. Simple and easy.
- Cards Against Humanity - the simplest of all the costumes, especially if you own a deck (or like me, made one from scratch). Two pieces of cardboard, one painted white, one painted black. Holes around the tops for string to wear around your neck, and then, the cards: "I drink to forget____" and "Me".
I'm not too sure if all of these are 2017-friendly, but I'll do my best. Some, we all know and love (sort of). Others, you might be all... huh? That's okay, I felt the same way with a handful of them.
Okay, I love the 80s. Truly. I kind of miss them.... and thus why this section is likely the the most fleshed out of the bunch. You've been warned!
- 80s Music Stars: any combination of Madonna-esque 80s, Cyndi Lauper-ish 80s, and/or a MC Hammer-style Outfit, perhaps with 80s Michael Jackson. Or maybe an 80s groupie? Get your dog in on it, too.
- 80s Tracksuit Babe and Dude
- Alf and a Cat - even better if the cat costume somehow incorporates it being a 'cat sandwich'.
- Back to the Future: A female Marty McFly and Doc Brown, or Marty McFly and Jennifer Parker. Or Marty and Doc Brown for a gay couple... take your pick.
- ET: An awesome DIY option if you want to try it. Grab an ET plush doll and put it in a front carrier. You're the boy from ET (if you have a bike, even better). Then your female partner can dress as Drew Barrymore. Awesome! (See an example with the image above).
- Hall and Oates
- Nerds (the candy!) - although you could be nerds from the Revenge of the Nerds, too. I'd love pictures of this if you do it - send me some!
- Masters of the Universe: any combination of He-Man, Skeletor and/or She-Ra
- Pac Man and either Blinky, Pinky or Clyde
- Q*Bert and either a square or the tower of squares
- Any of the Smurfs: Papa Smurf, generic Smurf, Smurfette.
- Transformers: any combination of Bumblebee (Female Bumblebee), Megatron and/or Optimus Prime (Optimus Prime Female)
- The twins from The Shining
- Weird Science: either Gay and Wyatt (put the bra on your head, you can do it..) or one of the gents with Kelly Brock
- Yips in magenta and blue.
I'm not as huge of a fan of the 90s, but, there are some really solid costume offerings from this era. A recent "I Love the 90s" concert I attended (seriously) gave me some great ideas...
- Ace Ventura and some random weird animal
- Axl and Slash from Guns and Roses
- The Big Lebowski boys
- Carmen Sandiego and Where's Waldo (Where's Waldo Woman)- okay, I made this one up, and I still think it's genius
- Clueless: Cher and Dee
- David Hasslehoff and a Baywatch Girl
- Derek Zoolander and a random model
- Dumb and Dumber in the blue and orange suits
- Fresh Prince of Bel Air: Fresh Prince and Carlton
- Kurt Cobain and Courteney Love
- Men in Black
- Pulp Fiction (see photo above)
- Salt 'n Pepa
- Any of the Scooby Doo crew: Daphne, Velma, Scooby Doo, Fred, Shaggy
- Wayne's World - Maybe you've got the hair, the glasses, or even the drumsticks. So then all you'll need is a flannel shirt, an ACDC shirt, and a Wayne's World hat. Voila!
- Zack Morris and Kelly Kapowski
Need something a bit... different? These options will leave you wondering, "why didn't I think of that?!" Or possibly, "Uh, I could never do that..."
- CSI: CSI Agent and Lady Heather (Dominatrix) - if you ever watched the original CSI, you remember Lady Heather. Oh my goodness. Any CSI lover will remember these episodes, and the relationship she had with some of the main characters.
- Cougar and a piece of meat - hilariously, this was suggested by a man whose wife is 16 years older than him
- Curious George and The Man in the Yellow Hat
- Ghoulidolocks and Psycho Teddy Bear
- Hunter and the Hunted (so, a hunter with a deer, etc - great Pinterest picture here), or a Great White Hunter and a Tiger.
- Naughty fairy tales - Pimp Nocchio and Little Bo Peep Show
- Paper Bag Princess and the Dragon
- Stanley Cup and Winning Team (see pictured above)
- Zorro and the Spanish Fly (yes, the pills!)
I realize this is a massive list, and it'll take some time to go through. I hope you used the handy navigation list up there at the top!
Have more suggestions to add to this list? Post your photos, links to photos and ideas in the comments, or the ideas you used from this list.