- 3 Tell-Tale Signs of an Internet Dating Scam and What To Do - May 9, 2021
- If You Love a Man With Asperger’s Syndrome [BOOK] - December 18, 2018
- Getting Past Your Breakup Book Review - December 17, 2018
It’s a new year, so you want to check out some couples costume ideas. No same old, boring dress-up here!
While dressing up is one of the best parts of Halloween, sometimes coming up with the perfect couples’ costume idea can be a chore. What if you’re a LGBTQ+ couple, pregnant, or a couple with a dog? (Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered).
To decide on the best costume for you and your sweetie, think about your shared interests and passions: are you superheroes or medieval characters from a romantic play? Matched opposites, wannabe celebrities, fantasy role players or something different?
I compiled all of these suggestions to cover all of these ideas, and more, suitable for all occasions. If you think I’ve missed some crucial couples costumes ideas, or want to share something you and your partner concocted, I’d love to hear from you in the comments.
Table of Contents
- 1 DIY Couples Costumes
- 2 Celebrity Couples Costume Ideas
- 3 80s Couples Costumes
- 4 90s Couples Costumes
- 5 Fairytale Couples Costumes
- 6 Movie Couples Costumes
- 7 ‘Old’ Couples Costume Ideas
- 8 Silly Couples Costume Ideas
- 9 Scary Couples Costumes
- 10 Superhero Couples Costumes
- 11 TV Couples Costumes
- 12 Unique Couples Costumes
- 13 Even More Couples Costumes Ideas
DIY Couples Costumes
Not all the items on this list will offer up specific how-to instructions (but if they do, I’ll mention it). Instead, I’ve collected a list of ideas that would be relatively easy to re-create with some time and ingenuity. No time? All the links go to a site where you can buy the costume.
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s: Holly Golightly and Paul Varjak – this one is simple if you know the movie well. Holly needs a black dress, crinoline, white gloves and a tiara, while Paul only needs a suit with a thin tie.
- Netflix and Chill – literally as simple as two adult onesies with the names ‘Netflix’ and ‘Chill’ written on the front.
- Bob Ross and Bob Ross Painting Costume – one of the more inventive ideas, this would be easy to recreate on your own with an impressive wig, a paintbrush, a large sheet and someone with awesome painting skills.
- Lock & Key – Okay, this is silly, but so easy to do. Hit up the dollar store and some crazy string to put these around your necks, and you’ve got a subtle costume that folks will have to put together. (Yea, Halloween makes me corny).
- Lady and the Tramp – okay, so there’s another way to take this costume. Let’s assume this version (see a great Pinterest shot) is tame. Two puppy costumes with one holding a plate full of spaghetti (string) and the two connected by your mouths? Genius.
- Pooh and Honey Pot – amazing if you need a pregnant couple’s costume. She dresses as Pooh Bear (see Pinterest for an idea, this is the cutoff red top, and this is the long, yellowish orange form-fitting dress), he dresses as the Honey Pot. Simple and easy. Or… he’s the bear and her belly is the honey pot?
- Cards Against Humanity – the simplest of all the costumes, especially if you own a deck (or like me, made one from scratch). Two pieces of cardboard, one painted white, one painted black. Holes around the tops for a string to wear around your neck, and then, two cards, one for each of you: “I drink to forget____” and “Me”.
- Voodoo Rag Doll Couple – admittedly, this one is a bit work. Still, it’s a stunning result, and the author / creator has explained in great detail how she made these two matching couples costumes.
- 99 Problems – A simple DIY couples costume, where you either create your own personalized t-shirts, or you have them printed. One of you wears a jersey that reads the number 99, with the name “Problems,” while the other wears jersey number 1, with the name “Aint”.
Celebrity Couples Costume Ideas
Some, we all know and love (sort of). Others, you might be all… huh? That’s okay, I felt the same way with a handful.
- Beyonce and Jay Z
- Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky (too soon? too late?)
- Buddy Holly and Marilyn Monroe
- Donald Trump and his First Lady
- Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin – someone has to do it
- Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi
- Gisele Bündchen and Tom Brady (link goes to Pinterest) – if you want these actual costumes, you’ll want to try some Victoria’s Secret lingerie for her or a sexy angel costume, and one of Tom Brady’s jerseys.
- Hugh Hefner and Playboy Bunny or a Tux and Tails Bunny costume
- Lucille Ball (costume, wig) and Ricky Ricardo
- Sonny (wig) and Cher (wig)
80s Couples Costumes
ET 80s Couples Costume – How Original!
Okay, I love the 80s. Truly. I kind of miss them…. and thus why this section is likely the the most fleshed out of the bunch. You’ve been warned!
- 80s Music Stars: any combination of 80s pop icon, Cyndi Lauper-ish 80s, and/or an MC Hammer-style Outfit, perhaps with 80s Michael Jackson. Or maybe an 80s groupie? Get your dog in on it, too.
- 80s Tracksuit Babe and Dude
- Alf and a Cat – even better if the cat costume somehow incorporates it being a ‘cat sandwich’.
- Back to the Future: A female Marty McFly and Doc Brown, or Marty McFly and Jennifer Parker. Or Marty and Doc Brown for a gay couple… take your pick.
- ET: An awesome DIY option if you want to try it. Grab an ET plush doll and put it in a front carrier. You’re the boy from ET (if you have a bike, even better). Then your female partner can dress as Drew Barrymore. Awesome! (See an example with the image above).
- Hall and Oates
- Nerds (the candy!) – although you could be nerds from the Revenge of the Nerds, too. I’d love pictures of this if you do it – send me some!
- Masters of the Universe: any combination of He-Man, Skeletor and/or She-Ra
- Pac Man and either Blinky, Pinky or Clyde
- Q*Bert and either a square or the tower of squares
- Any of the Smurfs: Papa Smurf, generic Smurf, Smurfette.
- Transformers: any combination of Bumblebee (Female Bumblebee), Megatron and/or Optimus Prime (Optimus Prime Female)
- The twins from The Shining
- Weird Science: either Gay and Wyatt (put the bra on your head, you can do it..) or one of the gents with Kelly Brock
- Yips in magenta and blue.
90s Couples Costumes
I’m not as huge of a fan of the 90s, but, there are some really solid costume offerings from this era. A recent “I Love the 90s” concert I attended (seriously) gave me some great ideas…
- Ace Ventura and some random weird animal
- Axl and Slash from Guns and Roses
- The Big Lebowski boys
- Carmen Sandiego and Where’s Waldo (Where’s Waldo Woman)- okay, I made this one up, and I still think it’s genius
- Clueless: Cher and Dee
- David Hasslehoff and a Baywatch Girl
- Derek Zoolander and a random model
- Dumb and Dumber in the blue and orange suits
- Fresh Prince of Bel Air: Fresh Prince and Carlton
- Kurt Cobain and Courteney Love
- Men in Black
- Pulp Fiction (see photo above)
- Salt ‘n Pepa
- Any of the Scooby Doo crew: Daphne, Velma, Scooby Doo, Fred, Shaggy
- Wayne’s World – Maybe you’ve got the hair, the glasses, or even the drumsticks. So then all you’ll need is a flannel shirt, an ACDC shirt, and a Wayne’s World hat. Voila!
- Zack Morris and Kelly Kapowski
Fairytale Couples Costumes
C’mon. You know you want to. Really, really want to. Be the Prince Charming your partner always wanted!
Or, perhaps Snow White? (Bro White? Yea, it’s an option…
- Aladdin and Jasmine
- Alice in Wonderland and any of the supporting characters: Cheshire Tease, Rabbit (female), Mad Hatter (female),
- Beauty (Belle) and The Beast
- Cinderella and the Frog Prince or maybe Cinderfella?
- Cinderella and Prince Charming
- Hansel and Gretel
- Jack and Jill with a water pail – check out this awesome idea to modernize and re-create this fairytale into a totally rad Halloween costume for the two of you
- Little Red Riding Hood & the Wolf
- Gnome and Sexy Gnome
- Once Upon a Time: Snow, Evil Queen, Hook, or Emma Swann
- Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy
- Rapunzel and Prince Charming
- Sleeping Beauty and Prince Charming
- Snow White and any of the Dwarves, or Bro White – I can’t make this up
- Tweedle Dee (funny) and Tweedle Dum (sexy)
- Sexy Unicorn and a Magical Unicorn
- Shrek: Two Gingy‘s
- Shrek and Fiona
- Shrek and Donkey
- Wicked of Oz: any combination of the Wicked Lion, Tin Woman, Flying Monkee, Witch, Scarecrow, and/or Mistress Dorothy
- Wicked Neverland: Captain Hook & Captain’s Mate
- Wicked Neverland: Peter & Darling Wendy
- Wicked Wonderland: any combination of Alice, White Rabbit, and/or Mad Hatter
Movie Couples Costumes
A quick dinner and a movie date night will help with your idea creation here, but in case you’re still wondering…
- Abbott and Costello
- Annie & Daddy Warbucks (Bald Head Kit) – okay, so this one is a bit risque. Great if you’ve got a big age difference between the two of you.
- Austin Powers & Felicity Shagwell
- Avatar: Neytiri & Jake Scully
- Casablanca: Rick and Isla
- Dirty Dancing: Johnny and Baby
- Edward Scissorhands & Miss Scissorhands
- Elf: Buddy the Elf and Jovi
- Grease: Danny & Sandy
- Harry Potter: Harry Potter & Hermione
- Lethal Weapon: Murtaugh & Riggs
- Lord of the Rings: Sam & Frodo
- Matrix: Trinity & Neo
- The Notebook: Ali and Noah
- Peter Pan & Tinkerbell
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Captain Jack Sparrow and Angelica
- Popeye & Olive Oil
- Scarlet O’Hara & Rhett Butler
- Silver Linings Playbook: Tiffany and Pat
- Spy vs. Spy: Black & White
- Star Wars: Luke Skywalker & Princess Leia
- Star Wars: Darth Vader & Luke Skywalker
- Star Wars: Two Stormtroopers (female, male)
- Suicide Squad: Harley Quinn and The Joker
- Tarzan & Jane
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Raphael or Donatello or Michelangelo and Sexy Leonardo, or Women’s TMNT
- Titanic: Frozen Titanic Survivors [photo only]
- Top Gun: Woman’s Flight and Men’s Flight
- Tron: Quorra & Sam Flynn
- Tron: GlowMan & GlowWoman
‘Old’ Couples Costume Ideas
You know, ‘old’.
From a former time, but all lumped into one. 😉 I know, I’m so scientific.
Just go with it.
- 20s Era Costumes like Flappers and the Great Gatsby
- 20s Era Gangster & Women’s Gangster
- Annie Oakley & her Gunslinger
- Anthony & Cleopatra
- Barbarian Babe & Bad Barbarian
- Bonnie & Clyde – okay, this is a personal favorite. I mean, my name is Bonny.
- Cleopatra & King Tut
- Cowboy and Saloon Girl
- Flapper Girl & Prohibition-Age Gangster
- Gladiatrix & Gladiator
- King Arthur & Guinevere
- Robin Hood and Maid Marion
- Romeo and Juliet
- Thor and Sif
Silly Couples Costume Ideas
Some of my favorites in this entire article sit in this section.
Honestly, I laugh every year at some of the options here.
Without further ado…
- Adam and Eve (trust me, this belongs in the silly category – just click on the link to see what I’m talking about)
- Bacon and Eggs
- Beer Bottle and a Beer Keg or Beer Fraulein
- Beer Pong Guy & Beer Pong Gal
- BLT – I can see this being a decent Do It Yourself Couples Costume, too
- Bricklayer and a Brick
- Coke and Diet Coke – interesting how the female’s bit is the Diet Coke. What, dudes don’t drink Diet Coke?
- Crayon Box with any color you can imagine such as Pink, Blue or Green
- Elf on a Shelf Couple
- Hot Dog and a Bun
- Milk and Cookies
- Nerds – the candy, not the people wearing glasses
- Oreos – the inside and outside
- Pair of Sneakers
- Playing Cards: King and Queen of Hearts
- Puzzle Pieces
- Soap and Loofah Costume – this one made me laugh out loud
- Tooth Fairy and a Tooth – I kinda like this one, too
- Wine and Cheese
Scary Couples Costumes
This is the whole point of Halloween, right? To scare each other? Well, here’s a few suggestions for particularly spooky dress up options.
Did I not link to an option? Check the pictures next to this blurb for most of the options.
- Chucky and Bride of Chucky
- Devil and Angel – not that scary, I admit
- Dracula and a Bitten Woman or a Bat
- Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein
- Ghostly Gent and Lady
- Lord Gruesome and Lady Gruesome
- Married Couples: Monster Groom and Bride, Zombie Groom and Bride, Skeleton Bride and Groom, Corpse Bride and Groom. Have a dog? Add them in as Frankenpup.
- Two Mummies! Bloody Mummies?
- Reaper and a Ghost, or perhaps a zombie? A cast member from Dead Like Me?
- Sweeney Todd & Mrs. Lovett
- Zombie Prom King and Queen
Superhero Couples Costumes
A long-standing favorite among readers, the superheros make some, uh, really fun combinations.
- The Avengers: Hulk & Black Widow
- Batman and Catwoman
- Batman and Robin
- Black Panther: Nakia and T’Challa
- Captain 6 Pack & The Refreshinator – yea, yea this isn’t technically a superhero…
- Captain America and Female
- Captain America & Peggy Carter (t-shirts on Etsy)
- Green Arrow & Black Canary
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Gamora & Star Lord
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Groot & Rocket
- The Incredibles: Mom and Dad
- Iron Man & Pepper
- Joker & Harley Quinn
- The Riddler & Poison Ivy
- Scorpion & Kitana
- Superman and Wonder Woman
- Superman and Supergirl
- Superman: Clark Kent and Lois Lane
- Thor and Loki
- Watchmen: Silk Spectre & Dr. Manhattan (okay, I guess Dr. Manhattan could just go naked…)
- Watchmen: Silk Spectre & Night Owl
TV Couples Costumes
Yep, there are lots of options here, too. Some new, some not-so-new, some just plain weird. I love you, readers… you’ve added some really fun suggestions to this specific list that I’d never heard of!
- The Big Bang Theory: Sheldon and Amy, or Penny and Leonard, or Bernadette and Howard, or (please!) Howard and Raj.
- The Big Bang Theory: Sheldon and Will Wheaton – I beg you, if you do this, post pictures in the comments.
- Chips: Ponch and John
- Dog the Bounty Hunter: Dog & Beth
- Flintstones: Fred & Wilma
- Flintstones: Betty & Barney Rubble
- GI Joe: Baroness and Duke
- I Dream of Jeannie: Jeannie & Major Nelson
- I Love Lucy: Ricky and Lucy
- Magic School Bus: Mrs. Frizzle and the Bus
- The Muppets: Kermit and Miss Piggy
- The Muppets: Fozzie Bear and Kermit
- Orange is the New Black: Alex and Piper (really, any of the characters…)
- Phil & Lil
- Reno 911: Deputy Johnson & Lt. Dangle
- Rick and Morty
- Rocko’s Modern Life: The Heads
- Rugrats: Stu and Deedee Pickles
- Rugrats: Angelica and Reptar
- Saturday Night Live: Spartan Cheerleaders
- Sesame Street: Bert & Ernie
- Sesame Street: Oscar and the Cookie Monster
- Sesame Street: The Count and the Cookie Monster
- Sesame Street: Big Bird and Snuffalufagus
- Simpsons: Marge and Homer
- Simpsons: Duffman & Duff Woman
- Star Trek: Klingon Male & Klingon Female
- Teletubbies – any combination of the 4 of them
- Walking Dead: Rick Grimes & Pajama Zombie
Unique Couples Costumes
Stanley Cup and Winning Team Couples Costume
Need something a bit… different? These options will leave you wondering, “why didn’t I think of that?!” Or possibly, “Uh, I could never do that…”
- CSI: CSI Agent and Lady Heather (Dominatrix) – if you ever watched the original CSI, you remember Lady Heather. Oh my goodness. Any CSI lover will remember these episodes, and the relationship she had with some of the main characters.
- Cougar and a piece of meat – hilariously, this was suggested by a man whose wife is 16 years older than him
- Curious George and The Man in the Yellow Hat
- Ghoulidolocks and Psycho Teddy Bear
- Hunter and the Hunted (so, a hunter with a deer, etc – great Pinterest picture here), or a Great White Hunter and a Tiger.
- Naughty fairy tales – Pimp Nocchio and Little Bo Peep Show
- Paper Bag Princess and the Dragon
- Stanley Cup and Winning Team (see pictured above) – this was a DIY costume, and it isn’t terribly difficult to recreate. Tinfoil over a bowl for the bowl/hat, this sequined silver dress, the NHL jersey of your choosing, and a printed NHL logo attached to cardboard and then to the dress. Voila!
- Zorro and the Spanish Fly (yes, the pills!)
Even More Couples Costumes Ideas
I realize this is a massive list, and it’ll take some time to go through. I hope you used the handy navigation list up there at the top!
Have more suggestions to add to this list? Post your photos, links to photos and ideas in the comments, or the ideas you used from this list.